heart knees :: a giveaway!

yes, i know.  it’s late and i’m sure you thought i forgot all about this, didn’t you?

well, the day gets away from me more often than not, but here i am!!!

18-24 month heathered gray leggings by american apparel with my own hand-painted silkscreen heart knees are up for grabs!  these little legs are as cute as they can be and to be quite honest, i’d like a pair for myself (which would then turn into a whole new endeavor all together).

so, this saturday DECEMBER 1st (!!!!) i’ll post the winner of these little darlings.  just leave a comment below like, “hi” or “i like leggings” or “great gift for my niece” or “yellow is my favorite color” - you know, what ever… and i’ll have a computer randomly select the recipient.  sound good?  sound fair?  just make sure you enter your e-mail address in the comment form so that i can e-mail you and say something like, “hey!  i like yellow too and you just won some leggings so give me your address!” and get your comments on here by 12.1.12, 12 am EST!

xo

the great printastrophe is over.

yes. i did it. and, as promised - the update.

the block. it’s a lino block and it’s seen it’s share of wear. sweet little goat boy in all of his delicious glory. i had decided once and for all to create a screen using this very block. using water based block ink and a brayer, i printed the image onto un-stretched silk cut to size. the image printed so easily and was perfectly crisp.

then it was time for the tedious - long and painstakingly detailed - work of hand painting the image with drawing fluid. this is a little risky because there are really no guarantees as to how clean the fluid will rinse away after adding the screen filler - especially with so many tiny marks and details. i just had to go for it. i used a 000 round brush for almost the entire image. zzzzz i stretched the silk after the fluid was dry (this is an old hat thing. most people should stretch the silk first while it’s wet).

i pulled the screen filler, let dry, then washed the fluid out or… scrubbed the fluid out vigorously (insert limp, tired arms here).

pulled as i normally would with silkscreen ink of the fabric variety. i know i lost some of the beautiful details but at this point, it’s a perfectly acceptable trade off. PLUS, with all the bleeding and other issues i was getting before i lost details anyways. the icing is that i printed three shirts (because mae needs one of everything mama makes) in about 5 minutes rather than screwing around with that block for a half hour on each shirt.

now that i completed the kids, i’m excited to set to work on the i love ewe. that one should be comparatively easier! xo